Sunday, August 18, 2013

June 25th, 2013

Hey guess what? Last Friday we got a random phone call bright and early from the APs, telling us that a missionary down in Clearfield was going home early and Elder J. would take his place. We found out at 7 that morning and he was gone by 2pm. So we're not in a trio anymore! And let me tell you... It is SO much nicer. We had gotten used to all the quirks and sucky parts about it, but now that it's over with, I'm really glad to be in just a twosome again. Elder J. just got put with a super strong and hyper-obedient missionary from Germany, and we're excited for him. It was pretty hard to deal with, especially because he didn't really contribute a whole lot to lessons, contacts, or anything else.. But hey! We all learned a lot, and at the very least the area is prospering.
Speaking of which! We went from 2 baptismal dates to 8 over the course of 3 days last week. We started teaching Joe's son last Monday and he accepted the invitation to be baptized. And then! The greatest miracle of all.. Is on Wednesday, we went on exchanges with the APs and we taught the new family that we found. They're literally some of the most prepared people I've ever met. They just moved to Corinne about a month and a half ago from Pennsylvania and they love it here. We taught them the first lesson and shared the first vision with them. Typically when you share the first vision it's difficult to help people recognize the feelings of the Spirit.. But all four members of the family described how they felt, and recognized that God was telling them the message was true. So we invited them to be baptized, and they all said yes! It was truly a miracle. We've taught them a couple of times since then and they are just amazing. The parents weren't able to make it to church on Sunday but the two boys did, and they absolutely loved it. In fact, they're already both enrolled in scouts and young mens and they're reading the Book of Mormon together as a family. They're just an amazing family. They've gone through a lot of trials and have come from struggling circumstances, but they're just embracing everything we share with them and the ward is receiving them with open arms. Miracles!
Oh.. By the way.. I guess I didn't mention. I'm in Afton Wyoming right now! It's the last P-Day before the mission splits on July 1st and we took a trip up to Star Valley to visit some people. I'm pretty freaking excited - rolling into the valley just felt like coming home again. So if this letter is a wee bit short it's because we wanted to go visit people right away! :)
We had a mission conference last week with Elder Tad R. Callister of the Presidency of the Seventy and it was pretty awesome. He shared some insights on the Atonement that blew my mind and everyone else's who was there. I also got to say goodbye to Elder Bengtson and Elder C..  On the other hand, I got a surprise phone call from Elder Bengtson last Friday. They moved the Pocatello mission boundaries around and moved some of the missionaries in those areas around.. And as a result, they're emergency transferring Elder Bengtson back into the mission! He was way excited, and I was glad. He was giving it his all in Idaho and I think they decided that other people needed to leave the mission more than he did. So he's coming back!
Also.. That worldwide leadership training was just awesome. That's what I'd call a 'gentle spanking' from the first presidency and the twelve. It's funny because they really didn't say anything new, but they just affirmed and drilled all the things that we are SUPPOSED to do as members of the church back into our heads. It was a really powerful training too - if it has any bearing on the work that's already going on, then we're going to have our hands completely full. Which would be awesome, of course. I wonder what's going to change in the missionary work in Iowa?

Mom - Ryan went to church! Ta-daa!! I also can't believe that Evan is a priest now.. It kinda freaks me out. Time just keeps on moving along... Sad to miss another Canada trip. Send extra chips to compensate! Hahaha. Try not to get too overwhelmed with all the craziness of life. I've only felt the tip of the iceberg, I think. We've been trying to do so many things at once that I get lost sometimes. But it's all mostly working out.
Dad - New projector? New ties? New found priesthood responsibilities? I'm really excited to hear that Evan's behavior is on a bit of an upturn. He's a good kid beneath it all, you know! Sometimes you get a glimpse of that. We tried to go golfing last week but the course was too full. I haven't had the chance to read that talk yet. Our p-days have been just loaded lately. I'll shoot for next week though. And the traveling AP is a calling that is still in trial, this is only the 3rd transfer they've done it. They have two missionaries called to be the "traveling trainers" and their calling is to go around to individual companionship's and spend the day in their area with them; to help commit  investigators for baptism, to help work difficult areas, and to give feedback, correction, and criticism where needed. It sounds like the most stressful calling in the world. I'm also pretty confident that I won't have to deal with such a calling, as I'm probably going to finish out as a Zone Leader. At least I hope so. I don't know if I could handle being a trainer again. I'd rather finish out being able to help and teach other missionaries than try another Elder C. situation.. I'll pass!
Well hey. If I left anything out that you wanted to hear about, then ask me to fill you in next week. I love you guys. But right now Star Valley is calling me! :)
Love,
- Elder Tyler Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment