Wednesday, July 4, 2012

June 19th, 2012


Hey what's up?

It's been a pretty good week here. The only frustrating thing about this area has been the fact that we have a ton of potential investigators, but haven't been able to set up lessons with them... They all seem to have crazy schedules and are incredibly hard to catch home. So while we've been gathering a ton of contacts, they haven't really gone anywhere from the first contact. Which has kind of sucked. But! In this past week, we really focused on getting appointments set up with the people we have (which is a ton..) and as a result we taught a LOT of first lessons to people, and were able to gauge their actual interest and set up return appointments with a lot of them. We contacted just about all of the referrals, and they keep coming in! Just yesterday morning we had 3 more come in from the MTC and from our zone leaders.. So we can definitely feel the Lord's hand in this work. I also would like to express appreciation for all of your prayers... They are definitely being felt :).

We got to go to the Bountiful Temple last week, and it was a way cool experience. Then again, I feel that just about every time I go to the temple.. But it had been over 4 months since I'd gone, and I went with a question in mind. I went through the temple session and afterwards I was sitting there praying and I looked over and picked up the Bible. I opened the Bible to a random page and scanned and stopped on one verse.. And it was exactly what I needed to hear. I love the temple. It is truly a house of God and I know he answered the question that I had. The Bountiful temple is beautiful - you should have gone to Scott's wedding there. After all, at the time I was literally almost 5 hours away.. You wouldn't have even been close!

So I guess Sister White spoiled the fireside story for me! I guess I can tell you anyways.. Last Sunday we went down to Bountiful so I could sing in a musical fireside themed around The Restoration of the Gospel. Basically, missionaries would invite their investigators and other families to feel the Spirit there and help them on their journey to conversion. It was incredible - it was an all missionary choir with lots of separate quartets, trios, a-Capella things, solos, and in between each musical number a set of missionaries would get up and share a portion of the first lesson. The coolest part was probably when Sister Olson got up to speak at the end.. She was almost in tears. The Spirit was so strong there. She got up and asked all the missionaries to stand up. On the stand and all throughout the congregation we all stood up - there were probably over 100 elders and sisters there. She then said, "These are all mine! And I promise you.. You can trust them with your lives. What they are teaching you is true. I know it from the bottom of my heart." It was way powerful - plus I guess I saw the White's there.. Haha.

I don't know why I'm struggling to find things to write about this week! I know it's been a very eventful week.. I just get to the computer screen and I blank out.. Well if anything I think I'll be sending you a few pictures/MAYBE videos today. So you can appreciate those :). Fun fact. I just looked in my backpack and I brought my camera - but not my camera cord! BLAST! Maybe next time..

Oh! One scripture I found this week that I've been thinking about a lot.. It's in 2 Timothy 2:2-3. "And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also. Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. That really spoke to me. When we were baptized, we promised (as it says in Mosiah) to stand as a witness of Christ in all places, and in all things. As a missionary, I've really been able to see that these things can bless the lives of those around us. We have felt the witness of the Holy Ghost testify of truth; we have Heavenly Father on our side. And although sometimes it may feel like the world is standing against us, we can endure. We can hold to the words of the prophets as contained in the Book of Mormon and the Bible. I know that the Book of Mormon and the Bible are both witnesses of Christ. I have a testimony of the Book of Mormon and I know that every day that I read it it invites the Spirit into our day and into our lives.

Mom - That sounds like the absolute craziest trip to Canada EVER!! I mean what the heck! So now you've been to Maine, huh? That's hilarious. I hope Evan didn't have a meltdown.. I happen to remember he does that sometimes. Did he at least sleep in the car on the way to Mineville? *gasp* you didn't say hi to any of my friends! How dare you! A couple of them have written me letters.. But not very many! So you'll have to chastise them for me... Haha. I can't believe it's been 7 months. There are almost more people in the mission who have been out less time than me than there are that have been out longer. It's unbelievable. Next week we are writing our letters to President Hiers instead of President Olson. Everything is changing.. The office staff is all different now. Everything is turning upside down! It's not even gonna feel like the same mission anymore. But I'll get over it. :)

Dad - Punt Toby across the room for me, will ya? That cat.. I wonder if he'll survive till I get home? Remember that one New Year's Eve where you guys all went out and blew stuff up and I was inside playing Age of Empires because nobody told me it was starting yet? You promised me you'd take me out and blow stuff up sometime... So I'll take you up on that - I'll even help you make chemicals sometime. Haha. I hope you had a happy father's day - every sacrament meeting we went to was like "Everybody call your dad's TODAY! No excuses!" But we can't.. So I hope you forgive me for that. I still haven't checked out those talk tapes! I WANT TO! There's just no time.. Haha we've been so busy. Actually, on P-Days we've been going to a place called Toad's, which happens to be a place where missionaries can go and play infinite mini golf, go-karts, and laser tag for 3 hours for the award winning price of $1!! How cool is that? We were going to go to the trampoline park today, but couldn't find a ride.. So we may go play laser tag again. Oh how we suffer.. Hahaha.

Sorry if this is a boring letter this week. I hope you all enjoy Canada, say hi to everyone for me! I'll send you pictures next week. Probably.

- Elder Tyler Grant :)

No comments:

Post a Comment